Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Taste Testing


My hydrometer says this stuff is at wine mode...it does have a punch to it, but I believe I'm more than ready to graduate to the stiffer stuff.  I do believe it fermented too fast, because the cabin is warm in the summer--I think mostly it stayed about 75*-80* really at the cut off for temps.  When I sampled it I was half expecting to smell vinegar...I was pleasantly relieved.  Chilled it doesn't taste horrible, actually it's pretty palpable.  I miss the apple taste a true cider gives, but it's pleasant enough.  As experiments go, this one didn't flunk completely.  Will I drink it?  Of course...it is definitely drinkable.  Will I take it to a get-together, probably not just yet with this recipe, but it still has a little time to finish well so we'll see.

I'm going to transfer it and let it rest another week and then add a little bit of honey water to the mix before bottling--might as well experiment with that while I'm at it.

Will continue to play around with this stuff until I get some real cider in the fall...why not?  Even the not quite successes can be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment