Sunday, July 13, 2014

Playing Around with Cider


Trying a new cider recipe out.  I've had to get more creative in my thinking when putting cider together since moving away from apples.  Last fall and winter I did some with store bought cider and all went well.  Since it's not cider season right now, this current batch is basically apple juice.  I'm always kind of worried about my yeast not getting going when using the pasteurized stuff, so I puree three or four sliced/cored apples and get the yeast going in that mixture in a jar for about 12 hours before putting it in the juice, sugar, and honey.  I've never been one to add a lot of sugar to my cider therefore have always had an alcohol content of about 8 to 10, but this batch has about 4 lbs of brown sugar and a cup of honey so far going off of what a friend did with her's sort of kind of I think.  During bottling I'm going to play around with some honey water to add just a little more "sparkle" than in the past--but hopefully not get it all the way to champagne mode.


The carboy is sitting in the coolest spot in the cabin and has a few more weeks to go as of now.  I'm eager to give this stuff a try.  No more store bought I'm thinking, got to keep the brew equipment busier from now on.  It's so easy to make and a class above.

No comments:

Post a Comment