Friday, August 8, 2014
Community Garden: Week 12
I haven't updated you on the community garden in a while. Things have been dry. I haven't given the garden as much time as its needed, and as you can see, there's a lot of yellow, wilty things happening in the picture I took yesterday evening. Take heart, I am getting my act together and watering pretty much every day--things looked much happier, although still in need of improvement, when I went to check on things this afternoon.
But there are good things happening there, like my sunflowers that are starting to bloom.
The beets are looking great too, and just about ready.
My snow cap and calypso shell beans are also doing well. I will have an abundance of both varieties to enjoy all fall and winter long.
Carrots are looking shaggy and in need of thinning. I checked my Parisians and they are still small.
My cosmos are starting to bloom and get tall...I love them.
The sunflowers from last year that are growing in the middle of the garden by squash plants are putting out tons of blooms.
The black fitsu were looking very sick, dry, and droopy, but after a good soaking or two have started perking up and putting out more flowers.
I planted kale, collards, radishes, and lettuce to get going for a second round. These things are being squeezed in wherever there's room.
Lima beans are showing up! I've been picking wax and green beans for weeks.
I have a few painted daisies blooming. I've never grown these, but have always wanted to. They do look pretty nice.
Red zinnias are looking nice...I wish I would have planted more!
And then there are the other zinnias...I planted a hodge podge of seeds from last year's zinnias that grew in the garden in pretty much this exact spot, mostly giant Californian varieties. Next year I will plant them thicker, but I'm appreciating what I have right now.
And then there's the very little watermelon plant hanging out by a tomato growing from last year's plants. I don't know if either will make it, but I'm going to keep them around to find out.
Things have kind of not exactly gone the way I had hoped they would lately {understatement} and there has been way too much unwanted drama in regards to that cabin situation I mentioned earlier {understatement}. I think it kind of froze me up mentally for a while so that the garden took a back burner. The animals at the place got all of my energy, because they're living breathing things with personalities and real needs. They've always been kept comfortable and happy, and I think that took most of my energy. The community garden suffered, and all of a sudden I sort of snapped out of whatever I was sunk into and realized the community one was at critical state and at the same time options and avenues for the future also started coming into focus, as well as the energy to get going on all the things that needed to be attended to.
I do believe with a little bit of regular watering and vitamins the garden will come back around.
Labels:
community garden
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment