Sunday, August 10, 2014

Asian Greens


Last night I let myself cut some red mizuna.  It's been growing in a planter box--one of the large ones--along with other Asian greens getting more beautiful by the moment.  Cutting it in baby form has been very hard to resist.  In the southwest I started growing Asian greens and using them in stir fries, hot pot dishes, salads, etc....  They've always tasted wonderful, been beautiful, and are so easy to grow, but Minnesota has been very good for these--they taste better in Zone 3b than ever before.  Red mizuna has to be one of my favorite greens, but it has always had a spice to it that the green mizuna hasn't.  It quickly got unpleasantly spicy for me in the heat of the desert so that I couldn't enjoy it long.  Here the flavor is superb...just right...exciting.  More going in at the community garden today.  I get my seeds from Kitazawa Seed Company; I've always been impressed with them, and the seed catalog has recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment