Saturday, September 15, 2012

Some Things Making it To the Table

spicy microgreens from botanical interest

that 16" okra...
Small bits coming from the garden each day this week.  This week was time to harvest the first greens of the year.  While up in Flag in early June I picked up a giant packet of spicy microgreens to give a try.  I've been going out about every other day trimming that up.  I must say I love this variety, but have to eat it blended in about 50/50 with mild lettuce since it has such a kick.  I don't think I'll ever be able to not grow this stuff again. 

Then, I've been snagging okra right along trying to get it before it gets too spiny, but it grows so fast!  I swear that I leave for work in the morning and when I come home new pods have appeared already 12 inches long.  The okra will be frozen and pickled soon...this okra season has finally been a huge success.  I'm getting requests for any "extra" okra I can spare at work and then family is thrilled that it's on hand again.  The first round of bushes are just about 4 feet tall and still gaining and the second round will be hitting its stride in about two weeks so the okra is certainly not finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment