Wonderful weekend spent with good company...
Over the weekend I finally had the opportunity to see Gillian Welch in concert! I must say it was the best concert experience I've ever had. So very glad we traveled up the mountain to take them in, and it was even better to have good company along enjoying it all every bit as much.
 |
| I'm always in awe of the pottery artifacts found in this area...armadillo? |
And so why is this post even on the garden blog?
Well, Flag has one of my favorite plant spots and I stole a moment to enjoy and snag a few things there.
But, before that we took in a few other things while in the area which made the trip even more special. The afternoon before the concert we took in the awe inspiring pottery and other artifacts created by the Hopi, Anasazi, Sinagua, Zuni, Navajo, and others at The Museum of Northern Arizona. I'm very excited about teaching Arizona history this coming school year, and will certainly use many of the things seen here as talking points and examples for projects, etc....
Some of the sights...
 |
| bird fetish necklace...amazing |
 |
| ...and you can't beat a culture who made bird shaped pottery |
 |
domesticated cotton and other fiber plants became yarn via drop spindles even in "ancient" Arizona... this one predates the 1300's |
 |
| ...and check out the fact that in the same time period looms facilitated quite ornate weaving |
 |
| I loved these pottery miniatures made with such care. Archaeologists hypothesize these miniatures that are pretty much exact replicas of their larger counterparts were probably used as toys...tea sets pretty much |
 |
| native corn varieties on display were quite fascinating |
 |
| this basket stuck with me...found in a cave it came from the Pueblo III era {1150-1350}. Inside was found one woven sandal. It fascinates me to think of its owner and why it was left. |
 |
| you could not help but be amazed at the resourcefulness represented in the artifacts...loved the gourd containers on display...amazing they are still around. |
Then, on Monday we took our time by visiting the fabric store and Warner's Nursery...my all time favorite Arizona plant provider.
 |
| walking through the nursery was quite the treat...Caribbean cactus dahlias |
 |
| pink cactus dahlias...growing these in the garden right now for the first time-hope mine look 1/2 as beautiful |
 |
| fairy gardens have really caught on...didn't buy any fairy furniture, but was very intrigued people nitch out a space for them |
 |
| loved this guy, but he is a bit extravagant |
 |
| Do I need a pair of these? Probably not since I barely get 3 inches of rain a year. |
On the way home we took the scenic way home through Oak Creek Canyon. I was in need big time of a greenery fix and received it via tall pines, aspen, and oaks which smelled so good {I never noted these things had such strong and delicious smells until living in the desert away from them}. Being out in 70* and 80* temps after our +100* days was a treat as well. A very refreshing time.
 |
| wonderful way to end the trip gazing at the views of Sedona at the end of Oak Creek Canyon |
No comments:
Post a Comment