While away to Tucson the garden did get cared for via the sprinkler hose that I weaved strategically around the plants. It isn't a perfect hose for sure. I've noticed that the very end of the line doesn't have much water preasure, and therefore not much good. But the time away from home for a few days did allow for me to evaluate the system. Much of it worked just fine. The assistant waterer just had to turn on the hose and leave it for about 30 to 45 minutes each day and all was well almost.
Some things didn't work so well though. It could be a number of variables, but the cactus zinnia sprouts did not survive. This portion of the hose did not provide as much of a soaking as they were used to, but it could have also been the heat. I wasn't sure if these could survive anyways in the +100* temps and will try them again in the fall when I know they'll do fantastically.
I have five days to perfect a system to water the two gardens before taking off to Minnesota. By Thursday the corn will be cleared out and much of the summer squash so that mostly it will be a round of new seedlings needing irrigation. I'm pulling out the pvc piping left over from the rabbit hutch frame for this job in addition to the sprinkler hoses.
No comments:
Post a Comment