Saturday, May 24, 2014
Pine Success
You all know that most of what I cook is pretty add-lib compared to my baking. My experimental pine vinegar has been a key component in a few add-lib meals lately. Getting home pretty late on what I believe was last Tuesday after not having eaten since lunch I felt desperate for good home-cooked food. Raiding the freezer I found my last stash of frozen spinach and a lonely salmon fillet. I've found that the pine vinegar really works with fish--don't ask me to describe the flavor it lends--but it's fresh and not too overpowering. With a clove of garlic chopped up, some olive oil, a twist of cracked pepper and salt, and a splash of the vinegar in a skillet with the fish and spinach, some pasta and Parmesan supper was much more rewarding than a frozen pizza. I've done scallops this way and they're delicious too.
My favorite tea is one that's leaves are smoked over pine bows, I'm impressed with the vinegar, and there's a lot more to keep exploring.
A few other actual recipes I've been trying out...{a lot of Splendid Table lately}
Caramel Yogurt--I like my homemade yogurt plain with a little honey and eat it in mass quantities--I thought I had no need for another yogurt recipe, but when I saw this I couldn't help but try it--now I have a jar for dessert purposes
Brown Rice Patties--very, very fantastic--will become a regular recipe for sure
Apple Core Bourbon--"fussy" drinks are not something I've ever gotten into--but certain combinations are growing on me--apples/bourbon = nice
Green Fettuccine with Asparagus, Basil, and Butter--someday I'll have my own personal stash of asparagus, but I'm going to get back into making my own pasta soon--and one thing I will have plenty of is spinach...
Crispy Cabbage with Poppy Seeds--cabbage is lovely in just about any form
Labels:
recipes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment