Sunday, February 9, 2014

In the Pines



I've been thinking a lot about all these pine trees surrounding me....  No, don't worry yet--I don't have a severe case of cabin fever!

I'm not sure when I first heard of using pine needles in cuisine, but the idea has been growing on me for a while.  The other day I read a piece on The Salt that sealed the deal.  I went out and started gathering.  It did take some searching, but I finally found some low enough to snip.


My first pine adventure is the pine vinegar.  I covered mine with cider vinegar--rice vinegar wasn't readily available--and am curious as to how it will taste.  Will the cider overpower any pine essence?  Does it make a difference gathering in the winter as opposed to the spring...or summer?  What will I actually use the vinegar for...?  I believe I will gather again and prepare vinegar from each season, experiment with varieties of vinegar and even types of conifers and see by this time next year if this is any good and worth my time.


In one month I'll be able to try out my first batch.  I did "wake-up" the pine shoots by warming them in some water on the stove {my pine shoots have been in the deep freeze for about two months after all}.  The fragrance of pine filled the kitchen almost as soon as the water started steaming.  Then I put them in one of my favorite wide mouth quart jars and poured cider vinegar to the top.  It does look quite interesting.

Smoking mussels with a needle bed, possibly grilling with a dressing of these added similar to wood chips.  This conifer thing could keep me occupied for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment