Saturday, May 10, 2014
Kale and Egg Fanatic
Recently there are a few things I've found I really, really love. Versatile, all purpose, good beyond belief food.
I've liked kale in that I would have it a few dozen times a year in the past--but after growing it last year {and freezing loads of it} I've found I like to eat it as often as possible. A few weeks ago I ran out of my own stash and broke down and bought some from the store not being able to wait until my own started growing sometime in late June. I'll be planting about twice as much for this season.
There will be ragged jack and dwarf Siberian this year {I couldn't go with the curly Scottish since its sold at practically every grocery store in the country}. I loved the way ragged jack grew last year, but also want the curly variety for pasta and such for its texture. Kale will be planted at the house this year so that I can keep it going longer--the community garden closes for the year before kale season ends and I had to pull my beautiful kale too early last year.
Then there are eggs, which I have decided I can't live without--I would barely go through a dozen in two months in the past unless I got on a baking kick. The bowl above represents 3 days worth of eggy splendor from my girls. I can't stand to waste Pansy, Ida, and Eva's contributions so I decided to get creative and start trying some different ways to eat them {Just one look at Ashley's post gave me countless ideas}. I've found I love them boiled--I haven't eaten a boiled egg since high school--and sometimes add a sprinkling of salt and dill or with some sharp cheddar cheese...sometimes with a bit of crumbled bacon if I want to go overboard. There's poached, which I've finally mastered.
And then there's the beautiful medley of kale and eggs. You have to taste it to believe how good it really is!
Eggs and Kale
*saute sliced or diced onions and garlic {to taste} in a bit of olive oil and salt
*add about 1/2 cup of cut-up kale for each egg to the skillet and wilt
*whip egg(s) and add to skillet--scramble or go omelet style
*eat just as is or with freshly diced tomatoes, shredded sharp cheddar {or bacon crumbles}
Stocks are running low...no more raspberry preserves left, two more jars of blueberry, frozen summer squash and pumpkin all that's left in the freezer with one last bag of rhubarb. The goal this year is to carry supplies through all the way to next June versus February. I do believe I can pull it off as long as insects and hail storms stay at bay.
As for chickens, there will continue to be just the three this year--they give me all I need!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment