Saturday, December 14, 2013

Life in the Snow Globe

This morning I felt like I was inside a snow globe, the snow was falling so gently in gigantic flake form.  December is halfway through, almost, and for half of that we've been in the deep freeze.  It did feel almost like sweet relief this morning when the temperature showed to be more around zero than the -20's with wind.

The rabbit barn is holding up well.  I'm losing more heat that I'd like, but I'm seeing this as a trial run for the long stretch of below zero temps that will surely come in January/February.

The house is also holding up.  The bathtub is the only cold point in the house and for two days the hot water faucet froze, but that was  remedied by getting the crawl space heater fired up again {special thanks to my sister for letting me shower up for two days at her place}.



I have noticed less icicles on the barn since adding insulation along the inside eaves.  The barn's coldest temperature was 8* on Wednesday morning around 4:30 a.m.  Throughout this week it has hovered around 20* making for a steady rotation of water bottles morning, afternoon, and late evening.


I haven't quite decided if I want to try water crocks for the rabbits.  I don't want water spilling all over them and their bedding in cold temperatures and am willing to keep rotating things.  Besides, the crocks would freeze too.  Maybe with some more insulation I can avoid freezing all together eventually.


All bunnies are happy though and just as cuddling as ever.  This would be my biggest female fox baby I'm excited about...Charlotte.


Somewhere in there {among my self segregated rabbits} would be Charlotte the silver fox and Violet the Californian and a few other smaller unnamed siblings I won't show, but are just as cared for during their lives in the rabbitry.  Fluffy pine shavings were added this morning and I believe they are taking everything in stride.  Tuesday the outside temperature will reach the high 20's so the barn will definitely get above freezing.  I'm scheduling a good barn cleaning session.


Eva {who I was told was absent from last weekend's pictures} was found sitting in the cornier of the barn I most need to organize this morning.  She looked quite happy there, so I let her be and promised myself Tuesday would be the day I put up the citronella fluid and other summer odds and ends before they are completely taken over by the chickens.  Maybe she's hoping to get a glimpse of summertime grass sitting over by the solar lights.



I'm thinking snow is here to stay with no truly warm temperatures in sight.  It's piling up on everything everywhere.  Gyspy is handling all well--I usually see her when it's dark nowadays more often that not.  I promise to get a picture of her flashy red winter coat up here next week.



The pines are still covered with snow and it's breathtaking...this gal is the closest to the house and an absolute haven for thatch, blue jays, and one particular fat grey squirrel.


And Jewel and Charlie are still handling the cold well...


although by the time I get done with chores I often find these two waiting by the door eager for the warmer inside.

Yes, life in this snow globe is good and so much different than last year this time.  Although I'm eager to get out on the cross country skis and snowboard, today is a good day to stay inside and watch the snow fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment