I'm not sure who provided the first small egg--was it Ida the Speckled Sussex who is the biggest gal {I love her thighs that kind of look like feathery "pantaloons"} or Eva the Dominique who is almost as big and quite clucky or perhaps it was quiet Pansy the Buff Orpington who is starting to bulk up {and comes from a long line of prolific layers}? Whoever laid the first egg, I'm very grateful--and excited. I wasn't expecting an egg for a few more weeks or so, but was thrilled to find one resting on one of the roosting boards this evening. The gals have not quite settled on the nest boxes yet. I'm thinking soon they'll begin to realize that they are becoming grown up birds.
These gals have been hanging around growing up for so long that I had almost gotten used to them being playful, quirky freeloaders. I'm looking forward to not having to buy eggs any time soon. Their contributions will be appreciated. They've come a long way since their first day!


No comments:
Post a Comment