I pulled up the rest of my failed onions last week and then brainstormed how to use them. Then, when I saw the recipe for mushroom and kale pie that called for shallots I thought why not? I can't say that I followed the recipe exactly. I didn't have enough parmesan, so I threw in some mozzarella and then added cauliflower-which the recipe didn't even call for-and used plain old ordinary button mushrooms because I had bought a bunch on sale and needed to use them up. Otherwise I stayed true to form. The kitchen has to be one of my favorite ways to unwind after a day at work next to spending time in the garden.
Granted, all that came from the garden were my little defunct onions, but it was a crowd pleaser. I love pie in any form and and this one is a definite must make again. I'm attempting the Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie from the same Kitchen Window post to share later on this week at a get together.
Part of planning for the move to Zone 3b includes looking forward to growing kale and other cool weather greens. The two varieties I will be comparing this year {yes, this year!} are Baker Creek's Marrow Stem and Russian Red-Ragged Jack. Don't even get me started on garlic. As you may remember, I'm dreaming of that too.
Along with the pie there was baked eggplant as a side {not from the garden...you can see mine has a way to go...not sprouting quite yet and something that will go in this summer's garden}. I have some Pandora and Cambodian giant planned.
No comments:
Post a Comment