Saturday, March 16, 2013

Damage Control


I'm down to one little plant light which you can see below doesn't quite do the job.  This week I'm going to try to rectify this seed starting tragedy.   Tomatoes are actually starting to sprout quite decently despite my bungling, but not the peppers.  Remembering something I saw a while ago posted on Daphne's Dandelions I put some pepper seeds in some ziplock bags on a wet paper towel.  We'll see what comes of that--I would like to have a few pepper plants of some certain varieties available this summer.  Due to the neglect of seedlings last fall I have no pepper plants of those varieties right now and am lucky to have two tomatoes.  I ended up breaking down and buying one at Lowe's.  This one I believe is a sweet gypsy pepper.

As you can see from the picture above Jewel almost insured that they would not be planted.  On my way outside to harden these guys off I got distracted and set them down.  Luckily I came back in the room before she tackled them, but it was close.  To say Jewel has been excited to see me out in the garden again would be an understatement.  Although she is terrific at destroying plants, there has not been a time in the last three years that I've gardened that Jewel has not also been outside with me. She was so thrilled to see me grab my sandals and straw hat that she could not contain herself.  I'll have to try to capture some more Jewel gardening pictures this year.

This guy needs to be hung with probably another on just like it to effectively do the job...usually I don't use the plastic "greenhouse" lids, bit it has been a lazy way of keeping my seeds warm and laying the light on top--my bigger light has finally burnt out its "bulbs" and it has proven hard to find replacements in my area, but this little guy was available for $10.  I would love to set something up like my sister's on a large shop light. 

I'm hopeful this will get these guys going...

but the tomatoes are starting to do well, lots of new one's trying to peek up as well as some others well on their way to sprouting...tomatoes are my favorite thing to start from seed

No comments:

Post a Comment