Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Year of the ?

As I watered tonight I kept imagining the garden in full splendor...it's coming, some plants are already starting to take off.  The first year down here was such a let down.  I had phyched myself up to believe that the climate would welcome 12 month gardening, and then it didn't work out so well.  To not have a successful garden was deflating.  But with a little homework and perseverance things started to come around.  IT IS POSSIBLE TO GARDEN 12 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR, really!  The new connections with the community garden will make this even more successful...contact with Master Gardeners, the ASU publications and outreaches...I can do this with a little help from my friends and good old fashion research.  Right now is the easy season...pretty much like regular summer time only kinder due to the fact that hail storms are really not likely and the rain comes down regularly and at a gentle flow from the hose. 

As I watered I couldn't help but wonder what this year will be...the year of the pumpkin was my last successful year when I could share my pumpkin harvest with my whole class.  Will 2012 be the year of the cucumber, or carrot, or tomato (and then which variety), or okra, or watermelon....?  Good things are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment