Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Starts


I've never had a fancy set up for starting seeds, usually peat pots or soil in baking pans or a cheepy tray from the hardware store.  This year with my coupons I got a self watering plastic tray which still aren't too fancy, but did come with some plastic so I don't have to use my own wrap--and this does allow me to keep my baking trays for baking.  The sun is perfect coming in the window down here that a grow light just isn't necessary, so starting seeds is even easier.  I don't start too many indoors down here, which means I really don't need a fancy all out set up anyways.  Easy stuff like lettuce and beans go right in the ground.  Tomatoes I do inside.  I'm experimenting on the watermelon, cucumbers, and squash starting some inside and then putting others right in the garden to see how they fair (summer squash should go in the ground now, but I am trying my Tennessee with it just to see what happens-technically pumpkiny one's should go in later-another experiment out of curiousity here).  Each morning I wake up and venture to take a look at the seed starts with my first cup of coffee.  Not a bad way to start the day.

What's in these new fancy trays and pots in my baking dishes has me pumped for this winter/spring growing season down in the desert...
Tomatoes:  Granny Cantrell German Red, Kentucky Beefsteak, TC Jones Tomatoes, Grandfather Ashlock Tomatoes, Cherokee Purples, Mexican Midget Cherry Tomatoes
Moon & Star Yellow Flesh Watermellons (never tried this kind...will be planting sugar babies too)
Squash: Early Golden Summer Crookneck Squash,  Tennessee Sweet Potatoes
Bothby's Blonde Cucumbers

As soon as these are up and running I'll be planting more for the summer growing season like an ever revolving door.

*need to update the "what's in the ground" list

No comments:

Post a Comment