I failed to mention I’m harvesting carrots around here! All of my carrots were planted at the community garden plot and I kind of let them go. There was a hodge podge mix of several heirloom varieties: muscade, scarlet nantes, cosmic purple, and amarillo. When I started pulling the other day {we’ve had several frosts and I was eager to give some a try} I ended up with the amarillo and muscade. The orange muscade are perfect for eating fresh, but my amarillo, especially the largest are so crisp that they are challenging to bite into. This could be due to my sporadic watering, maybe–they will be good for those roasted carrot opportunities and are still very tasty. I didn’t take very good care of my carrots this year, so I’m quite happy with what I’m getting. Usually I end up loving my blocky orange varieties the best, like the parisienne variety–which I forgot to get seed for this year. The medium sized muscade is delicious, so will definitely be on the list for next year too. I find that I want to order more of those medium to small varieties each year. I have a few more carrots to harvest this weekend. With it just being me enjoying my harvest I actually will have quite the abundance of carrots for a while to come.
By the time I finished filling a crate with carrots I realized that I would have to come back with an empty crate and fill it again, was ready to get home and start analyzing my property choices, and also look at my new tree catalog from FEDCO. There’s something marvelous about having plenty of carrots. I’m thinking that it’s time to perfect a carrot soup recipe and that roasted carrots are on the menu tonight.