Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Pie Pumpkin





Today I stopped at the community garden to harvest some more kale, swiss chard, and anything else I could find.  I also decided to take home my pie pumpkin whose been hanging out all by itself in the corn patch for a while turning orange.  For some reason my beautiful plants only gave me one pumpkin.  This is sad, but I’m determined to take it in stride and use this pumpkin for something special.  The first year at the garden three plants gave me a ton of these, plus I had those nice Cinderella style French giants too.  I don’t know what happened this year with the squashy things.  Next year there will be some winter squash and pumpkin strategies put in place that will give me a great harvest once again.

But, like I said, I’m grateful for this trooper.  Jewel investigated this by trying to chew on its stem on the way home.  It must not have tasted good, because she gave it up for a nap.  It is a pretty little pumpkin.