Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The View Out Here


I must admit that I'm still adapting to the humidity.  It has a habit of sneaking up and biting me, I suppose because for so many years I got used to living without it.  It rained a lot last week.  I spent much of it out in the garden anyways trying to get things cleared and planted.  By Sunday it was a muddy mess and I finally had to admit to myself that it was time to stop around 2:00 in the afternoon when my mud boots were being sucked almost up to their tops in the cleared garden soil with every step--the tiller had been retired earlier that morning because it kept getting stuck.  I was thrilled to get out Monday in the newly blue sky and the already draining soil.  Around mid morning a haze formed on the skyline, and this should have been my first warning, but I carried on through late afternoon, and then it hit me that I was really hot, and had completely done myself in.  Even though I had tried my hardest to hydrate myself and keep my head covered, with 95% humidity I probably should have gone and jumped in a lake around midday.  I don't take heat well if I don't take proper precautions, namely keeping my head cool.  I always prepared for it down in the desert, and had a whole system of freezing bandannas and frog togg chilly pads.  Time to get back into that habit for sure, because I plan on being out in the sun all summer long, especially with this big house garden.

So, today was a day off.  When I get "overheated" like this it results in something like a migraine.  When the migraineishness goes away, I'm left feeling pretty good, but kind of weak, and if I push myself too hard, the headache comes back and I have to go back to laying around with an ice pack on my head.  Luckily this only lasts one day if I can keep myself cool and rested.  Right now I'm starting to feel pretty good and ready to get back at the big garden, which is almost done!

In the mean time, I'm going to post a few pictures of the area surrounding the garden, because it's absolutely beautiful.  It's just me out here right now.  The nearest neighbors are something like 1/2 mile away and I'm not that far off of a main road, but there's no traffic or people action in this little meadow.  Wild animals are everywhere, I'll have to try to get some shots of them with my new camera if I can get close enough or actually have it on me when I make contact.  This morning I was almost ran into by two trumpeter swans as I went out to the barn.  They were flying low for some reason and quickly veered up sharply when they realized I was walking in their flight path--me and my headache didn't realize we were on a collision course until they were about 5 feet in front of me.  There are several black bear roving around {one knocked over the shelves in my greenhouse last month}, wolves wander through about every other week, coyote sing just about every night, but luckily haven't frequented the barn area since last February, a bobcat also lives around here--although I haven't seen it since last winter I see its tracks all the time.  Of course the skunk that sprayed me last fall is most likely still around, but fortunately we haven't met since, and the deer are best friends with Gypsy and come through nightly.  I'm hoping they stay away from the garden, because I've decided not to fence it.





The tent is at the end of the garden closest to the forest.  I've been intermittently sleeping out there just because it is so wonderful.  This is also the spot the tiny house will go once it's done.

I'll be back at it tomorrow.  I'm thinking the humidity shouldn't be too bad, and really it's not that hot, but I'm going to be prepared this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment