Saturday, February 21, 2015

Cold...But Paradise


I started doing chores about 3:30 this afternoon and finished around 5:00.  Normally it doesn't take me that long to get everyone fed and watered, but the weekends are usually my time to clean for everyone and whatnot.  The sky was this magnificent blue with a bright sun reflecting off the snow making things even more dazzling.  It did feel pretty good to soak in some rays, even if it was something like -20* with the windchill, so I didn't mind a few hours outside.  I'm such a fan of Carhart coveralls--not once did I feel cold, or have I ever, when outside in low temps for hours...originally I bought them in 2006 for South Dakota winter chores and recess duty...they probably could be chalked up to the best purchase I've ever made.  I could wear next to nothing underneath and never feel a twinge of cold--I know from experience....


Jewel stayed out with me for about half the time.  She has adapted pretty well to being an "out of town" dog.  She loves playing in Gypsy's hay--she does this thing where she jumps about 5 feet in the air and then rolls in it.  She doesn't chase the chickens, or the free range rabbit fellows, and only barks at Gypsy sometimes.


The rabbits and everyone else are tucked in for the night.  I never would have thought moving up here that rabbits could thrive at negative winter temperatures, but mine seem to.  Their fur is beyond spectacular--it's something to sink your hand into when giving them a pet, they have excellent appetites, and I would not hesitate to plop them on a show table right now and expect top honors.  The ducks and chickens are similarly happy.

South Dakota would get down to -15* through January, and of course the windchills could be brutal.   Here, it gets that and then some.  It's intense.  But after last winter I know we can handle it all, no problem.

Jewel and I are reading, quilting, and just generally chilling, plus intermediately dancing to music from The Mavericks {they raise the temperature at least 100*...their new album is pretty awesome} while enjoying some good wine tonight {the wine's for me...Jewel gets plenty of dog treats}.  We'll go out around 9:00 and make our rounds to just see that everyone is still happy and warm...plus take in those amazingly crisp stars.  All is well at -25*.


No comments:

Post a Comment