Sunday, June 15, 2014

Project {Almost} Completed


Before my clearing efforts...


After clearing and tilling....

It seemed like an insurmountable project to complete on my own to clear the extra space at the cabin for a garden.  After I mentioned to some of you that I didn't think I was going to get the garden at the cabin going and got all sorts of protests in response, it made me start thinking about all the seeds waiting to be planted that I had been thinking about all winter plus the plants already started and ready to get in the ground.  I snapped out of it and stopped being a wuss.  Friday I went out with the hatchet from our camping gear thankful it has always been kept so sharp and charged into clearing the little birch and the brush that filled the area of the planned garden.  In the process I stirred up ants that were very upset about being disturbed and had wood ticks crawling all over and up my clothing, but avoided getting bit by either somehow.  Actually, it was quite satisfying to wield damage with that hatchet.  Charlie hung out with me and faithfully observed all of this destruction without even a raised eyebrow while Jewel took cover under the deck.

Dad {who is up here right now} let me use his truck to go pick up a rented tiller Saturday morning after I bribed him with the promise of plenty of his beloved collard greens.  The rain luckily took a break and within three hours the tiller and I had things looking nice--it was a very fulfilling workout.  Things went so smoothly that on a whim I extended the garden by 40 feet so that I could plant even more winter squash making this a 15' x 80' garden.

Tomorrow afternoon the rain is suppose to let up and I'll string the fence and start planting.  Thanks for the protesting and encouragement from those of you who insisted I get going with this.  Things are over a week late in completing, but finally almost done and it does feel nice to look out on the almost finished garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment