Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rhubarb Cake


This recipe is from my sister's in-laws and the rhubarb is from a North Dakota garden.  It was the first time either of us had made it, and I must say it was nice to do on a Friday afternoon.


Rhubarb Cake
Topping:  
1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon {I will consult with recipe giver, but believe next time I will sprinkle the topping on right when putting the cake in the oven}

Cake:
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 c. rhubarb

Cream butter and sugar together.  Add egg and sour milk and mix.  Stir in flour salt and rhubarb.

Bake @ 350* for 35 minutes


The cake proved excellent to enjoy with others after a busy day and again with coffee in the morning catching up on a past episode of Prairie Home Companion way over in Washington {missed a few of those while getting ready for the move}.

I like the base of this cake a lot and am looking forward to trying it with the berries available this summer--strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  Oh my, I believe this is a recipe that will be sticking around a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment