Friday, May 4, 2012

A Comparison is Really No Comparison

A while ago I decided to compare transplants to seeds.  Sweet potato squash and cucumbers were just two plants I decided to analyze.   Well, the cucumber transplants did not make it despite efforts.  The seeds are doing fantastic {I'll post about them in a bit}.  The squash follow the same pattern.  Only one transplant is still limping along, but the seeds look beautiful.  I love their healthy leafs and flowers are just getting started.

So why didn't the transplants do well?  I tried to make sure I acclimated the transplants, and I was careful planting.  However, the reality is that things are harsh here.  The sun beats down intensely even before the temperatures get toasty and it is so dry.  A plant needs to become accustomed to this right from the get go to thrive outside.

Gardening in Zone 9 is a very unique experience.


transplants...it does have a flower, but it's obvious the poor guy is not gong to survive and thrive


sweet potato squash from seed starting to sprawl

absolutely love the unique leafs on this squash

No comments:

Post a Comment