Saturday, April 28, 2012

Worm Bin Update: a work in progress


The worm bin was going fantastically...diligent red wigglers pouncing on anything organic thrown their way and producing rich, black compost I couldn't wait to use quicker than I'd expected.  Then the fruit flies hit, not too bad in small amounts, but I'm just trying to keep it small, because I don't want them at all--not even in the laundry room.  I'd wipe down the sides of the bin with vinegar and make sure things were draining properly, but each time I opened the bin there seemed to be more, meaning they also had found a happy habitat.  After some reading I've decided that just maybe the problem is not enough dry matter along with all the produce and whatnot being thrown in.  So today I added any spare cardboard I could round up.  Like I said...this is a work in progress.  Hopefully I can get everything back in balance again.

*problem solved...after reading up on the issue I discovered its important to always have a layer of cardboard or newspaper to cover produce scraps going in--no more fruit flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment