I forgot my Pete the Cat presents in the classroom, so I traveled up there to retrieve it, making for the perfect opportunity to stop at the quilt shop near my school. Mom came along for the trip just to hit the shop and we ended up gifting ourselves at this particular stop.
We had lunch at one of my favorite places once we got back to the big town. Then, we parted ways and I hit the shops. I've missed having a downtown area that functions the way it's suppose to. Certainly not something to be taken for granted. I'm hopeful that in the years to come it will keep getting better and better. There were quite the wide range of personalities to shop for, but I didn't have to travel more than three blocks from where I was parked. And the people are so friendly, really. By the time I wrapped things up the little white lights were coming on the trees along the streets and I found I was actually feeling kind of refreshed {chaotic, retail experience avoided completely!}. Jewel didn't even eat the edible presents I had stashed in the vehicle in between shops, so it was a doubly successful expedition.

I couldn't help gifting myself a few more times though. My "just don't feel like shopping" stint is finally over. This could be a good thing, and it could be bad too! At least it will probably result in a much needed new wardrobe. Some of you have talked this book up, so when I saw it sitting on the shelf next to a pretty cool looking pepper book I couldn't help but splurge.
So here's my recipe for my one homemade thing this season. I'll have to find the picture I took of it. Cranberries are so easy to make into preserves and I love the orange/lemon in this plus the spices of course.
Spiced Cranberry Jam
3 pounds fresh cranberries (about 12-14 cups)
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups apple cider
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Combine the cranberries, sugar, cider, and orange and lemon juice and zest in a large pot (use a big one, this jam will bubble) over high heat.
Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries pop.
Add the ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and stir to combine.
Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until the jam looks quite thick. If it appears to be thickening too much before all the cranberries are popped, add a splash of water to loosen.
Skim foam or add a about a tbs of butter.
Ladle jam into jars. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for ten minutes.
Makes 5 pints.
*This recipe is from Food in Jars...I've done something like this before winging it from the standard cranberry sauce recipe, but nabbed this one for consistency a little bit ago. I do often add more orange and lemon.

No comments:
Post a Comment