All around the cabin wonderful berry opportunities have appeared. Juneberries, which look a lot like blueberries but are on tree-like bushes higher off the ground than wild blueberries, were the first to show up. Then the lowbush wild blueberries and raspberries started to appear. In an average year the raspberries would have been noticeably first, but this year due to the longer winter they showed up about the same time.
 |
| mom picking berries by the house during her stay |
 |
| Juneberries |
Then, my sister and I decided to do a little hunting for a blueberry patch that would really put out. Down a dirt path near the cabin we happened upon more blueberries than anyone could ever want. Among the blueberries there are wild raspberries in abundance and the fading remnants of wild strawberries. They are delicious and the goal will be to have enough for a few jars of preserves and a frozen stash...I have about nine cups right now, so one more trip out to the berry patch will be about right. Our trips to this particular berry heaven won't even make a dent in the supply. For the last two weeks things have been very busy with family vising, etc.... I'm sure going out and picking a few more berries will be a great way to recharge.
Stay tuned for some posts on what I decide to do with all of the fresh goodness I have coming my way. I'm putting a recipe link at the top of the blog as a commitment to post on how the harvest at the garden, etc... is put to use more often.
 |
| beautifully blue |
 |
| good company while picking |
 |
| view among the wildflowers |
 |
| ripe berries with more to come soon |
 |
| they're everywhere.... |
 |
| fading strawberries |
 |
| plentiful little raspberries that are very tasty |
 |
| one little branch = 21 berries |
 |
| I love the way the unripe berries look... |
There are a lot of other berries I'm going to give a try as well. Some pin cherries are hanging around in the blueberry patch and I have some currants and chokecherries in my area as well.
Wild and Edible Fruits of Minnesota has a basic rundown of the bounty to be gathered in a Minnesota summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment